xScion Solutions is a Virginia based, woman-owned Information Technology (IT) professional services firm that solves critical business problems for leading commercial and federal clientele nationwide. We have proven experience supporting large scale IT initiatives in the Health Care, Financial, Public, and Education sectors, in addition to expanding our Big Data Practice.
We are currently supporting a rapidly growing healthcare technology client with some of their key hiring needs and have an immediate opening for a Senior Scrum Master to serve and collaboratively guide self-managing Scrum teams to become more effective and proficient through open discussion, inspection, and adaptation.
- Environment is a medium sized, modern software application engineering and DevOps organization
- Strong candidates will have the right mix of interpersonal, facilitation, coaching/mentoring, and verbal communication skills, and a breadth and depth of knowledge of Scrum and Agile techniques
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guide and coach Scrum Teams and relevant parts of the organization on how to effectively use Agile/Scrum practices and to delight customers as the highest priority.
- Facilitate Scrum and Sprint rituals and enforce appropriate rules and role boundaries.
- Aggressively seek to eliminate waste and low value costly behaviors.
- Remove impediments or guide the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to quickly remove or prevent blocking issues.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving; correctly and collaboratively identify root cause of problems and implement reasonable and appropriate interventions.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Assess Scrum maturity of the team and organization and lead the team to higher levels of performance, at a comfortably sustainable pace.
- Coach and train the Development Team, Product Owners, and junior Scrum Masters.
- Support and educate Product Owners and business analysts, especially with respect to refining (aka grooming), managing the product backlog, and preparing for Sprint rituals.
- Preserve and promote Agile culture, commitment to excellence, and adaptive flow.
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- 3+ recent years of experience as a full-time Scrum Master, Agile coach, or Scrum trainer
- 5+ years of experience in product or software development roles
- Excellent verbal communication and mentoring skills
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Experience with numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum framework (examples: methods for estimation and forecasting, burndown/up techniques, retrospective formats, handling bugs, measuring team health, user stories, ATDD, TDD, BDD, continuous integration/delivery, continuous testing, pairing, automated testing, games, etc.)
- Ability to distinguish Agile anti-patterns; can clearly communicate knowledge, tools, and tactics that are most appropriate
- Scrum Master or Agile certification (PSM, CSM, CSP, CST, PMI-ACP, etc.) desired
- Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, organization types, product/technology types, cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc.) desired
- Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, and self-study desired
- Knowledge of pros/cons of frameworks and scaling approaches in the Agile space: XP, Kanban, Crystal, DaD, SAFe, LeSS, and Nexus desired
- Experience as a Development Team member desired
In return for your expertise, a competitive compensation package is offered based on your experience and qualifications in addition to an excellent benefits package. Highlights include Medical/Rx, Dental, Vision, 401k and matching, Tuition Reimbursement, LTD and Life Insurance in addition to holiday time and PTO. EOE.